Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Journal number 8 – Service Learning Part 1

For our Service Learning our group decided on helping Handog Tungkod Project. Our objective here is to give canes to senior citizens.

Before we decided on the above, we were considering teaching kids financial planning (how to save money). Personally, if given the chance, I will pursue this as it is a personal advocacy of mine. I often think what would have happened if I knew how to save and invest when I was still in school. It’s not that I don’t save; actually I am very disciplined with money. Unfortunately, back then the only way that I knew is to keep my savings in the bank. The problem with this is you save money for the longest time that you can but in a time of need it devaluates because of inflation and most of the time I zeroed it out as it does not grow. The reason we did not pursue this is because we couldn’t get an organization to conduct this seminar.  We thought of schools but since our schedule only allows us to have the event on a weekend, as we are all working full-time this was discounted. Finally, we decided to look for an orphanage but we couldn’t get any confirmation from the orphanages that we reached out to.

Our third option was to conduct a sports event in a community or an organization for children. What we hope to achieve here is to bring them outdoors away from their gadgets like PC, mobile phones, tablets to name a few. We were thinking of naming the event as “No CoC day” or “No Dota day” as children nowadays tend to play more electronic games which is proven to be very unhealthy compared to traditional outdoor games. One of our group mates has already a sponsor institution in the works, however, as with the previous; we were again to have confirmation from the organizations that we reached out to.


Overall the experience was very interesting and enlightening in the sense that we were going different directions at one point but thankfully we have a more concrete direction at the moment. It also made realize that starting my mba is really worth it as I am learning a lot from my group mates. I may not be in their industry but just sharing to them my thoughts and hearing theirs is already a way of learning. Most importantly, while learning, we will also be able to help or give back to the community in the very near future that otherwise will be impossible on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment